Sunday, June 29, 2014

Thoughts on Results

Living alone gives you plenty of time to think, and this weekend I was thinking about how much I enjoy having something to show for my work, and how much that drives me.  I think that is why I like producing so much.  Obviously, all jobs have some sort of project at the end of them, tangible or not.  But I definitely prefer the tangible, and sooner rather than later.



At the end of every work day, I have a completed project to show for my work that day.  I think this makes me much more productive each day, because I can see what I've completed within a few hours.  It doesn't take days, weeks, months even to show what my hard work can do.  It's why I like to do craft projects, and not ones that take too long (the amount of times I attempted to start a large sewing project with my mom when I was growing up....).  

That's all well and good, but unfortunately, it's the same with exercising.  It was always so hard for me to workout during summers, and even during fall pre-seasons, because I couldn't see where the work was getting me yet. Right now, my only reason to run is to stay healthy and in shape... but that's not really a tangible goal.  I don't need to lose weight, so there are no real things to motivate me.  So I'm thinking of signing up for a 5k in August.  My competitive side won't want to look like a fool after being a DI athlete, so that will be a goal I can see.  I also found an app through Nike that can track my mileage via GPS on my phone, so then I can try and run farther each day, regardless of how long it takes me.

I'm glad I'm getting some time to get to self-reflect and learn about myself while I'm out here.  And I really hope my realization of my need for immediate, seeable goals will truly bump up my fitness levels.  I don't want to suddenly be unhealthy after about 11 years of running track! 

No comments:

Post a Comment