Saturday, August 16, 2014

Lately

I swear I meant to post more during the week -- but then I got sick on Monday, and felt under the weather for the past few days.  I would come home from work, watch Gossip Girl on Netflix until I nearly fell asleep on my futon, then move into my bed -- get up the next day, and repeat.  Needless to say, nothing interesting to write home about.  Something was going around the newsroom because our anchors and meteorologist were all in and out this week.  I haven't reached my 90 day mark yet, so I couldn't have taken time off even if I wanted.

Luckily I finally started feeling better, because I was itching to start decorating the bag I talked about last week!  Here's a peak at what I've done so far:

 The back will be all polka dots, and then I have to paint the sides (folded in, you can't see them unless the bag is in use).  A few more days of work, but it's fun and keeping me occupied.

Last night I went out for a friend from work's birthday at a Japanese restuarant.  It was in an area of town I hadn't been to yet.  Definitely a hippie/hipster area.  The businesses all looked like good places to check out, and building were covered in cool murals.  The people and the houses though? Very interestingly decorated outsides (lots of color, slightly inappropriate writing, "found" art), which appeared to be filled with hippie 20-somethings, and the smell of weed in the air.  It wasn't that it wasn't tasteful and somewhat cool -- just not my type of living area.  Very Eugene, very much not Boston.  I definitely prefer the more downtown blocked area.

That was followed up by a trip to a downtown bar, with a kind of 70s atmosphere that I liked.  I'm curious to see what the bar scene looks like once the UO students come to town.  Already I find the bar scene a little weird -- but I realized when I was driving home last night that it's because the people height to building height ratio is so off from what I'm used to in Boston -- most of the bar buildings here are only one to two stories high.  Nothing like even the Allston bars at school, and nothing like the Lansdowne/Fenway scene.

I hope I don't come off as complaining comparing things in Eugene to Boston -- it's just hard not to do since that's what I'm used to.  But I'm having fun doing new things and getting new experiences.  To me, that's much more important for a young person to do than continue to stay in the same place.  I'll be glad to get back to the east coast as soon as I can, but for now -- it's nice to be able to explore something completely different.

If you didn't guess: yes, I am writing this at the tea shop once again.  Tea of the day: chrysanthemum silver needle, delicious.

Anddd let's end on the only good kind of selfie/only kind I take: a cat selfie.  Hey Neville.


Oh! And don't forget to check out my Etsy shop

No comments:

Post a Comment